Sunday, February 15, 2004

I swore it would never happen, but my blog has languished, a result of the combination of too much writing, too often, and increasing demands at work. The word-count demand at my job at Cosmodemonic Shoes has undergone a steep upward spiral.

I’ll end this post early, then, with a large dose of fantastic news, a light at the end of the tunnel that’s only growing brighter. Namely---

I paid for my ticket to India on Friday. The trip is official. Depart LAX April 14, 1:50 a.m. on Singapore Air. The ticket lists a return to LAX on July 26, but we’ll see how that works out.

Hanging up with the travel agent, I was flushed with a sense of lightness and well-being. I had anticipated this feeling, but still---the trip has now moved from an abstraction to reality, and in the process has reframed my whole perspective towards work.

I’ve been perishing by inches over the last few weeks, even months---once I had decided I was going to tender my resignation, my ambition at work withered on the vine.

With no ticket, my trip remained stuck in half-world between dream and reality. And I was stuck in the purgatory of a desk job, staring out my window into the clinical orderliness of an office park. At least I have a window, I would think.

That all changed on Friday.

Now the effort becomes saving enough money to pay for the yoga.