Tuesday, May 17, 2011

SAVE THE DATE: MARCH 1-4

Wednesday, May 18, marks the two-year anniversary of the passing of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. The man had a big impact, both subtle and overt, on my life.

All told, I only spent perhaps 8 months in daily practice with him in Mysore, India, and on various tour stops, and he and I certainly never had more than a cursory relationship. I like to think he knew me because he always seemed to be on my mat during my least cherished postures. But then, how much of that is projection and wishful thinking?

Still, his firmness, his solidity, his weight, the twinkle in his eye, his blending of both humor and sternness into some strange alloy, have been and continue to be a huge influence.

The subtle pull he still exerts is of course due to the passion and love he inspired in Tim Miller and all the other wonderful teachers with whom I've practiced, people like Rolf Naujokat, Chad Herst, Tarik Thami, among others.

Indirectly and on a personal level, I would not have met my wife or had my daughter if we hadn't met at Tim's studio, and the discipline and self-inquiry that have sprouted from my practice of Ashtanga Vinyasa has let my marriage grow broad and deep.

Now that Pattabhi Jois has passed, of course, there are no more World Tours, when the Ashtanga Vinyasa community would come together from near and far to reaffirm old friendships and forge new ones, pay our respects and have a good time.

So I saw this flier today on Tim's blog and I almost teared up. I don't know how the event will be run, with led or Mysore-style class, lectures or discussions, maybe all of the above.

But it ought to be a beautiful event. One-hundred-plus like-minded people in one room, all celebrating Ashtanga Vinyasa. Ekam, dwi; inhale, exhale ...

I hope to see you there.